Friday, November 20, 2009

Chicken Soup

Today is rainy and cold in the DFW metroplex. Well, not cold for northerners, but cold for here. I decided today would be a good soup day even though my grandchildren are fans of "real" food like Kraft macaroni and cheese, hot dogs or chicken nuggets. I decided grandpa and grandma wanted some real food so that is what we are having today. HaHa! The soup base can be made with only four chicken thighs so it is relatively inexpensive to make. Enjoy!


Chicken Vegetable Soup

4 chicken thighs
8 c. of water
1 onion diced
1/3 of a celery bunch sliced-I chop the leaves also-I think it looks pretty.
1/2 tsp salt per pound of chicken

Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hrs or until tender. I always add water to keep it at same amount as I started with plus the stock continues to get richer.

I remove chicken from pot and add:
4-5 potatoes, cubed
1 bag of baby carrots? I usually eyeball it and add what I consider good for my family
1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables
3 or 4 chicken flavored boullion cubes

I put lid on and let vegetables simmer. Sometimes I may add another potato or two. Stir the vegetables around, make a judgment. I add a little thyme to my soup.

While the vegetables are cooking I remove the skin from the chicken and begin to tear it into strips and add the chicken to the soup. I discard the bones and fat and whatever broth and celery remains in bowl, I dump back into pot.

If I just want chicken vegetable soup I may combine a little cornstarch and water to thicken the broth to make it more stew-like. Most of the time it is seasoned perfectly at this time. You may want to taste and add salt if needed.

There are times I decide to add egg noodles to the vegetable soup for something a little different. If I decide to do this I do not add the cornstarch. The starch from the egg noodles eliminate the need for this step.

My husband does not like soups, he likes things with "substance" so I make our soups more stew-like. Otherwise, he walks away hungry.

This is fun, easy and yummy to make! ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment