Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Reflections



Well here we are at Christmas time again. Before we begin this new season I want to say a few things about our Thanksgiving holiday. We had been planning to go to Albert's this Thanksgiving and well, things just didn't work out. Instead, we had our Thanksgiving at home.

We hung around the house and the kids got to sleep in. They had a friend over for a visit a couple of times and we learned how to hook up the playstation. The children enjoyed playing their racing games and then we moved on to Rock Band. We had two singers, two guitar players and a drummer. I enjoyed hearing Jacob and Josiah's rendition of MISSISSIPPI QUEEN. I was able to get a little Christmas shopping in.

MaryEllen came to stay for a few days. We were able to have some time to go out and to play a game of dominoes with her "special friend" Quentin. We were able to see Matthew, Edna, Abigail and Adan. That was nice. The grandchildren were able to spend a little time with their mother. Michael and Becky weren't able to make it but they will be here for Christmas. Mark had to work during Thanksgiving so he was not able to make it home. However, he will be home for Christmas too.

Thanksgiving was not the big splash we had last year but it was a very enjoyable time nonetheless. The boys voted for pumpkin pie and the girls wanted chocolate cake. We had both. MaryEllen's request was for yellow squash and sweet potatoes. How could I refuse? We also had turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy and mixed vegetables. I used a tablecloth and my good dishes. The girls were able to carry them to the table and help place them. They were oohing and aahing. I had to serve them their dessert on pretty plates also. We played Sorry, and Jacob beat me. He was very pleased with himself.

I am very thankful for many things. I have a nice, snug, warm home. I get to care for and have an imprint on the lives of my grandchildren. My husband and I were able to spend some time together. I had Mary and Matthew at home to visit with. I am healthy. I have been given a clean bill of health this year with no recurring cancer or developing cells. I am now in the home free zone. I have a wonderful family. I have four great sisters and a half sister I am getting to know more and three wonderful brothers. I have a father who is in great health and fun to be around. He is married to a wonderful lady who loves us and treats us kindly and is very supportive and loving to my dad. I am thankful for John's family. He has a great dad who has been there for us especially in the early years. John's brother Ricky who has faithfully visited even though it is rarely returned and Laura, John's sister. I wish she would come and visit sometime. Cough, cough!

I am thankful for my bible and for being able to read it. I am thankful that I live in a country that I have the freedom to go to church and worship God without fear of retribution. Thank You, Lord, for my blessings! Help me to learn to not take things for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment